Wednesday, November 17, 2010

So much to do with so little moolah...

I have been thinking about reorganizing my life. And by life I really mean my bedroom. I am a bit obsessive compulsive with some things. But when I am in a funk or depression-ish place/state of mind, my space gets out of control! I need to take my living space from hot mess to hot damn that's cute! It will take a little work, lots of reorganizing, dusting, and doing lots of laundry. But on top of reorganizing I need to find & create a "home" for some things. I have a list of things that I would love to do to improve the look/feel and functionality of certain spaces.

Someday I need to get a real nightstand with proper storage. How else can I read a bedtime story, drink a glass of water & set my alarm to get up in the morning? Plus I love putting on my peppermint foot lotion then putting on my big fluffy socks before bed to maintain my fancy feet. I need a place to store the lotion/fluffy socks & a nightstand would be perfect. I also like to keep a nice smelling candle in my room (Voluspa Ebony Peach Seasons Candle Tin) to set the mood and put me at ease, but I need it to be close enough to blow it out before I fall asleep. Only because I am not a fan of setting the house on fire while I am having sweet dreams, lol.
I have also been on the hunt for the perfect vanity/makeup/hair care storage situation. I thought I found a lovely option at West Elm (flip top storage with mirror) which is now no longer available online, but could possible still be available through select stores. Although I thought it could be the answer, I am a bit torn. It does match my current headboard, which I got from them (the Moroccan headboard), but it is a little pricey and West Elm is also a competitor. I do work for a fantastic company that sells fabulous furniture (just nothing that will work for my needs in this area at the moment). I also don’t think I can spend almost $400 on makeup storage right now (or EVER, lol) with bills, and the holidays coming up. And I am supposed to be saving up for my fantastic girls trip during my birthday in March. So it looks as if this is just not in the cards now. At the moment I will have to deal with the limited storage in my bathroom. I did however come up with a cute new way to showcase and store my makeup brushes for now. I got a beautiful mini candle hurricane in a great jewel tone from Crate& Barrel (london mini hurricane) and filled it with iridescent glass pebbles. Then I just placed my brushes in to store them all while bringing a bit of color to my counter top. I may do the same thing with the tilt bowl they sell for all of the rest of my brushes, liners, and mascaras as I continue to add to my collection.
For my main bedroom storage (other than my closet) I do have a great low dresser that I got from a friend before she moved up to Atlanta. It was originally a light pine color, but I have transformed it to fit my personal style better. I painted it a bright fuchsia and finished it with a high gloss top coat. It is now the pop of color & focal point in my bedroom. I did recently purchase a super cute & funky lamp from Crate&Barrel (purple hoopla table lamp) to add lighting and it matches the dresser beautifully. I have been thinking of getting some of Crate’s holiday wrapping paper to line my dresser drawers to finish the piece off just right. I have been thinking of using the Marimekko Fandango Purple-Teal Gift Wrap, to give it a little pop of surprise color when I open the drawers.

I have so many ideas for my bedroom and it looks as if it will be a long process to finish this project. I like things to come together over time, in which I can continue to add to the design and make it all well rounded and not to "matchy matchy".  But I must say I could really do a lot with completing the look if I won the powerball or lottery, lol. But until that day I must stay inspired and look into more DIY projects to get it to the point of completion. Ehh... one of these days it will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment