Friday, December 17, 2010

DIYD: why buy, when you can Do It Yo DAMNself

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Hoooovvvv...ok so its really Jessica, but theres no Jay-Z songs that start like that. I'm another one of the besties who will grace your computer screen every now and again. Hellur.


Soooo...a little bit about me [I'll make it short and sweet so we can get to the good stuff]. Fashion is my life; I work it and I WERK! it *two snaps*. If I could eat it in forms of delicious cupcakes, I would probably do that too. I'm a rep for a fashion wholesaler by day, clothing/ jewelery designer by night, and a personal shopper on the weekends. And when I say personal shopper I totally mean I personally shop, for myself. I'll be poppin up to bring you tutorials, 'fit pics, and anything else I feel the world must know about.


ok....now...drum roll please!
MY 1ST TUTORIAL!
[insert "ohhhs" and "ahhhs" here]


The Zipper Belt
What you will need:
1. zipper trim, by the yard 2-3+ yrds depending on hip measurement 2. some type of closure. I used a swivel hook/ O ring set found by the purse making supplies in Joann's, but you could use snaps, actual belt buckles, even a frog clasp
3. measuring tape
4. scissors
5. pliers
6. needle and thread or sewing machine and/or hot glue gun
7. fray block
optional: hardware like spikes, studs, chains, to make it even more bad ass or hotfix rhinestones to soften it


Step 1. Measure around your hip (or where you would like the belt to sit). You will need to add about 6 inches to this so that you will have enough at each end to add the closure. Using the measurement you took, cut three equal parts of the zipper trim.
Step 2. Since the trim has only 1 side of teeth and I wanted one piece with teeth on both sides I hot glued 2 of the 3 zipper pieces together. I then went over each side with a simple straight stitch (using my machines zipper foot) to make it more durable. You could skip this if you don't feel like sewing.
my nails are fancy, huh?


Step 3.
Next, using a pair of needle nose pliers, pull about 2-3 inches [or as much as need] of the teeth off the ends of both pieces of trim. This may be a little frustrating at first, but after the first few you will get the groove of it. Just put your back in to it!
This is done so that it is easier to fold the trim back and sew down when adding the closure.
Step 4 Add closure to each end folding back the trim and hot gluing. You may want to add a couple secure hand stitches just to make sure it doesn't fall apart on you while wearing. I never fully trust the good 'ol hot glue gun, as great as it is! Be careful which direction you fold back, paying attention to the way the zipper teeth are facing as well as the closure. Dab a little fray block on the ends to stop them from unraveling. That wouldn't be cute.
and voila!

1 comment:

  1. Good on ya girlee! If I were into fashion design your instructional blog would be the first place I'd go. Who knows... if the economy continues the way it has been going I may have to consider starting a line of "security fashions"... hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete