Saturday, May 14, 2011

Back to basics

So it has been quite a long LONG time since I was able to update my blog. There has been so much going on in my life recently & to be honest my blog was the last thing on my mind. I kept thinking that I would get to it sooner or later, but if I didn't totally drop the ball all together.


Not only did I get a promotion (like 3 months ago) that I was settling into, but life just has a way of getting overwhelming at times. Not so much the work part, but the idea of balancing work & play. Or work and staying sane all at the same time, lol. My birthday passed in all the madness. I has these grand plans that totally never happened. It was rained out & may have been for the best that weekend (although I do plan on someday really seeing a little person stripper, just because).


One of my best friends who was staying with me is now officially engaged & has moved out. When she asked me to be a bridesmaid I almost fell out in an overly happy squeaky crying fit, lol. I am so beyond happy for her, but I totally miss just having her company around the house. Not to mention she broke my poor kitty's heart. Grovesnor (my kitty) was/is head over heals in love with her & sulked around in a little kitty depression after she left. It was so cute and sad all at the same time. I think he is trying to get over it & has been hanging out with me again as a back up, lol. 


On top of all those normal life things I am still trying to come down emotionally from mother's day. It is a lovely day for most, but has a way of bringing up all sorts of crazy feelings for me still (almost 10 years after the loss of my mom).  I am blessed enough to be surrounded by many wonderful women and mothers who are always sweet supportive and loving, but it just makes me miss my mother even more at times. I think about how much has happened the past 10 years and all the great people in my life that she will never meet. About a week before mother's day I found a recipe box my mother had put together for me for after I graduated high  school and moved out. It was filled with recipes that I was sure I had lost long ago & would never see or taste again. I decided to take one of my very favorite ones and make it for the lovely women in my life today. It was my way of honoring my mother and passing her love onto the women who will never get the pleasure of knowing her. It was a big thing for me. While making it my home smelled just like it did when I was a child. It not only tasted just as good as I had remembered but all my coworkers and friends loved it. 


All those things along with the normal day to day annoyances have made me start thinking that I need to get back to the basics. And by the basics I mean me. I have realized that I have been focusing on all sorts of things all over the place & not so much on myself. I have decided to try to dominate all aspects of my life and think of a master plan on becoming the best me I can be. I am also trying to get back to the things that helped calm and settle myself when I get overwhelmed or scattered. I have started a crochet project as a result. I am still working on getting a better nights sleep and actually letting my body and mind rest. I am also trying to stay focused on keeping my personal space organized and clean. That way the less visual clutter and mess I surround myself with physically it should start keeping the craziness to a minimum mentally and emotionally as well. Who know if it works, but it seems to keep me on track. 


Life has a way of getting out of control in many good and bad ways. But maintaining a balance is the key. Lets see how my new back to basics focus works out. Hopefully I can continue on my path to becoming my best me possible. Balancing the good, bad, work, play and everything in between is totally possible & I am up for the challenge! Lets just see if I remember to update my blog more often, lol. I hope you all have a blessed weekend filled with lots of love & wonderful memories. Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. I have found you, baby cousin. I'm hoping your Mom left you the recipe for 'Baked Corn' if not, i will share this Rice family legacy with you. I haven't seen you since you were a very little girl, but you were special then, and you still are. I told you before, your Mom is not gone, she is still here in you and your sister. She had a profound impact on everyone she came across, I really miss her. I hope that you and I can know each other, now, as adults, without pretense or expectation. We have a history that we both share, a bond that we both miss, and a future as vibrant women that we both need to embrace. I love you, Leigh Ann, always have, always will. I'm the little piggy that went to market, which one are you? Love You, Sharon

    ReplyDelete